Saturday, January 23, 2010

Bigger Words


About three months ago, I was sitting in my Sunday School class and noticed - much to my own shock - that I was having difficulty seeing my small print Bible. I had NO TROUBLE at all seeing my neighbor's Bible at the same table that was Large PRINT beside me though. What had changed? Had my eyes changed quickly or had it been gradual? Why was I squinting to see - why was everything more blurred than usual? Not sure really. I even found myself holding my Bible really close to my eyes to read and have had more trouble seeing distance as well lately. Interestingly, the next weekend, we found ourselves at a LifeWay Christian Bookstore and I located a Large Print NIV Bible and purchased it for myself. Aaaahhh...so much less strain on the almost 38 year old eyes. And, yes...for those of you who may wonder, I am planning on making an appointment with the eye doctor.


However, this little event has caused me to think alot about how I "see" God's Word. Do I -do we - ever see it as some little words on a little page...written to be read when it's convenient, written to be drawn close to when I want to - to read what only we want to see at the time?

No - the Words are much bigger than that! They are life. They are to be obeyed - lived out, studied, examined, memorized, discussed, taught...they are Bigger Words than we most often allow them to be. We must not obey them when it is convenient - choosing only to read the ones that make us feel good. We must read them ALL; see them ALL; obey them ALL;

Therefore, my life will not make sense to the world. I will do things that are contrary to the flow - swim against the current - sometimes even do things that don't "feel" right to me. But, I will do them none-the-less...it's called obedience! Maybe the feelings will follow - maybe they won't - doesn't matter, really. I choose to live by the Bigger Words. His Words.

No comments:

 
style>