Saturday, June 6, 2009

Special times...special memories!

Our May and June have been filled with some great family fun...we have enjoyed spending some celebratory time with our youngest niece who had her 1st birthday party in May. We had such a great time enjoying this day with her and Mike's extended family. It is such a joy to see her growing and developing before us into such a sweet, young girl. She is delightful to be around and brings such joy to our family. She enjoyed her party just as much as those of us who came - especially digging into her first little cake! Jonah, Abby and Isaac had a great time at party, playing outside, eating, and enjoying family.

Our niece is such a blessing - Happy First Birthday Baby Girl!

Abby learned to blow and catch bubbles with the wand at the party.
Isaac had a blast riding his big wheel - he's actually almost too big for it now, hard to believe.

Jonah played until he was exhausted...can you see it in his eyes?

I must say, though, that the highlight of the day for me - as a wife - was seeing my husband back to his 'ole self this day. He was finally feeling relief and was able to laugh, enjoy his family, relax, and enjoy the sunshine - and that for me was a delight!


Another great highlight recently has been attending our twin nieces final season soccer game. They absolutely gave it their all. They played so hard and had such a great time. But, the best thing I love about these young ladies is their ATTITUDE! They are winners on and off the field and I couldn't be prouder of who they are becoming. They are often baffled when others demonstrate poor sportsmanship because it truly is just not in their repertoire. The girls are so fun to watch, but even more fun to be around...man, I love these girls!

And, what do you say about the most darling nephew in the world? There are no words to describe our love for him. He is definitely our gift from God. He loves his family, is in love with his sisters, adores his parents and grandparents and thoroughly enjoys his life! I often wish I could see life as he sees it...enjoy it as he enjoys it. Recently, while Mike was in the hospital, he got the opportunity to ride in the hospital elevator. Upon entering our hospital room, he said, "Michael, I just blasted off in a space ship." No one had planted that idea in his mind...he just experienced it - and I just love that about him!

Finally, I must share a beautiful experience that Mike and I had last weekend as we celebrated with a long-time mentor and friend. Many of you know that Michael and I were great friends in late elementary and all of high school, but never dated until AFTER college. However, we were fortunate enough to be in the high school band together for 3 years. And, our high school band director is retiring this year. So, thanks to a former band member that I graduated with, Facebook technology and email, she was able to get the word out to many that she would like to plan a final farewell party for him and his wife following his last spring concert. I thought this was a wonderful tribute to give to a couple who had give so many years of their lives to the development and maintenance of the arts/music programs of the county. Because I did not play sports in high school, the band was my outlet...my extracurricular activity...my social network...my thing. And, I loved it! I learned music, yes. I played and instrument - flute. I marched on the field, I played in spring concerts, I went to competitions and gave it my all. But, I learned so much more. This band program gave me so much and I am grateful for what it meant in my life at such an influential age. Over 80 alumni from 1978 to the present came back to honor Mr. Robert and Mrs. Wendy Saylor for their years of dedication. In my opinion, this speaks VOLUMES for what they meant to so many people. The alumni surprised him by marching in behind the high school banner at the end of his spring concert, providing a standing ovation and then having a reception afterwards. We pray God continues to bless him and his sweet family for many years to come! Alumni travelled from all across the state to come and pay tribute to our former high school band director and his wife!
We appreciate all Mr. Saylor did for us as young people and his friendship today.

The upcoming week is full...we look forward to Abby's 1st ballet recital on Friday. The boys have their spring concert at school on Tuesday (with Daddy as their teacher of course) and the last day of school is on Thursday. They will then have two days of basketball camp at school while daddy finishes up his school year. Mommy is still adjusting to her new job in rehabilitation management, but loving everything about it. We look forward to a great summer, camping July 4th weekend in Gatlinburg and lots more fun! Have a great summer...


2 comments:

Oh Dear said...

What a beautiful family you have! LOVED that picture of Mike laughing! So glad he is feeling better!

PW said...

So many God's blessings are evident in this post!!!!

 
style>