Monday, January 12, 2009

Challenged...Higher


Here I am at home after a long day at the office - still enjoying the great worship experience I had with my brothers and sisters in Christ at my home church yesterday. The Holy Spirit was welcome and people were changed, including me. It was my honor and privilige to be there and be a worshipper in His presence with His people. And, the experience lingers...He continues to speak to me and draw me closer to Himself because of it. I asked Him to change me and He has. I sought after Him and found Him. And, it leaves me wanting more of Him, more of His love, more His Word, more of His power, more boldness to share Him with others. The desire to serve Him is stronger and I am so thankful that He doesn't leave me where I am but continues to bring me into closer relationship with Him.

So, I feel challenged to come higher. Michael and I have been discussing the direction we need to take in our married lives, as a family and in ministry to do this. We have decided that Scripture memory is where the Lord is drawing us. We are feeling compelled to memorize a portion of scripture...Romans 8. I tell you this not to boast - we boast only in Christ...and see - we have yet to complete it - by far we are only beginning. But, we are going to strive. I found this excellent tutorial on Scripture memory here, by Beth Moore, that we are using as a catalyst to make it happen. I am also making posters (like these) ...
...to put around the house to help us. We are studying the scripture as we go to make sure we are comprehending it - not completing useless memorization. Scripture memory can be very frustrating...


...and so we are trying to do it together to keep each other accountable and motivated - almost as a friendly competition of sorts...

If you feel so challenged...let's go a little higher...times are getting harder, life is not getting easier, our children are growing up, we need to know the Word - not just be familiar with it but to KNOW it - we must write it on our hearts, people! Let's give it a whirl. Find a verse that means something - something you desperately need - write it on an index card tonight and memorize it! Take it to work and tape it on your calendar - look at it over and over - make sure you understand it. Write it upon your heart...and then let's watch God use it! I am so excited!


Trusting Him...Melisa

Romans 8:1 (NIV) "Therefore, there is now no condemnation for those that are in Christ Jesus."

2 comments:

A McGlone's Life said...

What a great idea. I used to be able to memorize anything, but not anymore. I think I have ADD! Caroline memorizes whole chapters at school, it is awesome. Great challenge, I may copy your lead and start a little friendly competition with Craig!!!

Anonymous said...

Malisa,
How great our Lord is. I too am trying to get this old mind working to memorize a verse a month. I have chosen Romans 1:1-2.
I have it posted on an index card on my refrigerator.
Georgenia

 
style>