Saturday, January 10, 2009

Three??? She's Really Three???

We had a delightful time last night with our families celebrating Abigail's 3rd birthday. We ate together at a local restaurant, opened gifts, had cake...all the fun a little girl's birthday party should have. I took some great pics of her - but sadly - my camera didn't work and I didn't find out until tried to download them this morning! None the less, it was a great time and we were so happy to be able to celebrate this great developmental milestone with our beautiful daughter. After the party, we were leaving the restaurant and I prompted Abigail to blow everyone a kiss, tell them thank you again and that she loved them. And - on her own - she said,
"That was a great party!"

I loved it - it was so fun to see her come into her own, enjoy opening clothes - (my boys just always threw them down and looked for more toys) - she truly is a girly girl. But, my heart sort of flutters when I think about my baby girl being 3. Three??? She's really three??? Is that even possible??? We now have conversations...we discuss things, we have to discuss clothing decisions (on a small scale of course - she may want to wear boots when I want her to wear dress shoes...) and I can only imagine where this is going.

Raising children is a daunting task, rewarding on the one hand and overwhelming at times on the other. And, being blessed with both boys and a girl, I am beginning to experience both sides of issue. I pray for my daughter - for myself - as we negotiate life together. There is so much to teach - to learn...values, modesty, purity, self, God, others, courage, dreams, morals, honesty, media influences, love, self-control, sin, honor...on and on. I am thankful for the challenge and look forward to the future with anticipation and dependence on God...I have given her to Him already! Now, I will rely on Him for all I need to do it here on earth - He will not fail me!

...Trusting God, Melisa

1 comment:

Angie said...

Very nicely stated. He is in control and we DO have a responsibility with raising them, but He will help us. Love ya, Angie

 
style>