Friday, March 6, 2009

An epiphany moment

Being a growing family of 5, I realize (sometimes discouragingly so) that the laundry is ever-so out of control. There is never a day that I can call it done. I don't have 'hired-help.' It is my honor and privilige to do - actually - although that sounded really good, I loathe the task. I put it off, let it pile up, dread the folding, sorting, putting away. It is a major project and one that I don't ever look forward to. I would rather do a hundred-million-zillion other things than fold and put away laundry.

But, tonight, the whole top of the laundry basket was filled with socks...big ones, little ones, blue ones, purple ones, old ones, new ones, play ones, dress ones, frilly ones, not-so-frilly male-gender ones...and as I pulled them out, I truly thought...how beautiful!!
And, the scripture from Romans 10:14-15 came to my mind immediately:

"How, then, can they call on the one they have not believed in? And how can they believe in the one of whom they have not heard? And how can they hear without someone preaching to them? And how can they preach unless they are sent? As it is written, "How beautiful are the feet of those who bring good news!" [emphasis mine]

Somehow, tonight, the task of laundry doesn't seem as daunting to me. Yes, I am a Christian working mother. I juggle alot - but only just as much as any mother. Some homemaking tasks I find more pleasant than others...although they all must be done. But, tonight, the socks seem just a little more precious. As I sort them, fold them and place them in little drawers, I will be praying for my husband and children who will be wearing them...that they will be bold - bringing good news of Jesus Christ everywhere those socks take them!

3 comments:

Oh Dear said...

LOVE IT!!! Socks are the hardest too. Now I have a new way of sorting and putting them away-thank you!

Unknown said...

I love the socks post! One of my favorite songs to sing is from Handel's Messiah: "How Beautiful Are the Feet of them that preach the gospel of Peace" based on the same scripture!

We outta call it the FEET scripture. :-)

Anonymous said...

I love this post...and the scripture...Beth was just talking about this scripture on Friday night at Tommy and Dawn's house saying that she would love to have all of our feet in the dirt in haiti with this scripture attached to the photo. Awesome!!

Rachel

 
style>