Tuesday, March 24, 2009

I had a conversation today...

I had some interesting conversations with friends today ... I tried mostly to listen and interject when God gave words and wisdom. The topic just happened to be about raising our various aged children, pop culture, media, teens, a new popular controversial book series', peer pressure, the 'everybody's-doing-it mentality', and so on. I was so broken hearted as I heard parents, friends and acquaintances speak so boldly that they "...hate not to let my child wear it...'' or "...feel like a bad parent if I don't let them read it..." because ALL the other little girls/boys are wearing it or reading it.

I am truly of the persuasion that the Christian home needs a MAKEOVER, PEOPLE! We are not of the world...only in it for a little while. Since when do we CONFORM??? We are supposed to be different -- anybody have the desire to be peculiar? We definitely do! And, you know what we have figured out? Hardly anyone will understand the decisions you make as a Christian family. And, the world shouldn't completely understand it - sometimes those who call themselves Christians don't either. The Christian family should look alot different than other families - they should look at us...the love, the peace, the joy, the service, the faithfulness, the ministry...and want what we have.

I want an Extreme Christian Home Makeover...I want people to walk in my home and scream..."WOWEEE - now this is some kind of different!" I want it to be a place that my kids want to be in... a peaceful, fun, happy place where conversation is not unusual, where laughter is commonplace, where family dinners - even when simple - are around the table and begun with prayer, where Jesus Christ is welcome, and where we march to a different beat than the world.

We don't want the media to have a foothold in our home. We are fighting that influence...not just ignoring it, but meeting it head on, talking about it, dealing with it, teaching our children about it, and above all, looking to God when there is nothing left to say but,
"Welcome home, Bell Family, Welcome home!

1 comment:

Angie said...

Lead the way. We need leadership. Don't give in, keep it up!

 
style>