Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Frugality

Mike and I have experienced the joys (and struggles) of being on a detailed budget now for one and half years. We have tried various budgeting types over the years, but the one that finally seemed easy enough for us to stick to was the Total Money Makeover system by Dave Ramsey. I must admit after listening to his radio program from time to time and reading his book, the budgeting system that he provides is nothing short of common sense - but sometimes I have to see common sense written down in black and white before I assimilate it into my thinking pattern. We have been so pleased with the results of being on a budget. It has taught us so much about how to handle money, how to talk about money and how to make our money work harder for us. We still have a lot we want to do, but we sure have come a long way from where we started eleven years ago.
There are times, though, that being on a budget is not so fun - the times that we can't do something that "everyone else is doing," or when we have to say "no" or "wait" to something that we are eager to have or do. In actuality, it is not that we can't do things or can't have things, but it is the fact that we have made the choice to be disciplined in this area of our lives. We are also aware that to some, it may not make complete sense. But, we have quit trying to make eveyone understand what we do - we just do what we believe God has called us to do. I do agree with Dave Ramsey when he says, "If people are making fun of you when you are on a budget, then you are on the right track. They are probably broke people who just don't get it and borrow money for everything."
Therefore, we go camping in a Coleman tent among many who have big, beautiful RVs. We don't have cable t.v. - but love to watch movies and keep up with the news via the internet. We need a new living room suit, but we are waiting for just the right deal to come along and buy it with cash. I have learned to be a great discount an clearance shopper - and it is totally fun!
Now, I haven't reached the frugality levels of some. I don't make my own laundry soap. I don't crochet my own Swiffer cleaning rags instead of buying the disposable ones. I don't use cloth diapers or wipes - I use disposable. I only pack my lunch for work about 1/2 of the time and I don't always carpool to work although Mike can drive me there easily each day on his way to school.
However, the frugal life does intrigue me.
I enjoy reading about ways to be more frugal and am always up for a good deal.
Maybe I need to polish up my crocheting skills...
I just spent $11.88 last night on a 24 pack of Swiffer cleaning pads last night at Wal-Mart!


1 comment:

Rachel said...

You are my role model in this area of "life". It is amazing how deep in a pit some become with debt. While in F'fort yesterday I was listening to KLove and the ministers minute came on. The speaker said the average american now has three vehicles (obviously neither of us are average) and the number was double that of registered/licensed drivers...the average american has 19 credit cards now (again...not average...hoping you aren't either in this regard) and that the average family could not sustain themselves for even a month if all working income was lost (ok...here is where Woub and I found "average") Scary...

Speaking of $$...I don't know if you are interested but if you'd like to run away with me for a girl night the registration for the Brave event has now opened...$50 for the ticket is the only thing. I have a b'day coming up so I could talk my hubby into an early gift...how 'bout you??? Maybe we could invite a couple more ladies to share the one night room expense???

 
style>