Monday, September 29, 2008

Goodbye to my couch...





Sorry for all the pictures, but please allow me to reminisce and grieve a little :(
I am sitting now in the middle of my living room floor surrounded by - well - nothing. We finally succombed to the worn-out,ugly couch syndrome and have ordered a new couch, oversized chair and ottoman for our living room. The delivery company practically guaranteed it would be delivered tonight, but - you guessed it - they didn't show. (Said their truck broke down??)

I must admit that we have had our current living room suit for almost 10 years. And, I am mighty pleased with the new chocolate brown microsuede set coming. However, I must also admit that at about 2:30 a.m., I woke up realizing that this would be the last night that I would be able to sleep on my old one. So, I got up quietly and came into the living room alone - really - I did! Michael was sound asleep so I laid down on the couch and tried to fall asleep, but floods of memories came back to my mind. I know - many of you are laughing hideously at me at this moment - but you have to understand...we've been through some serious stuff on this couch!

I remembered the time I went with my friend Michelle to shop for this couch 10 years ago. I suppose it was sort of an impulse purchase during a tough time of sorrow in my life. (Whatever possessed me to buy a red, plaid couch? Michelle, why didn't you stop me?) Well, anyway, it was the one I loved at the time and somehow it allowed us to change something in our home and feel like we were starting a fresh, new chapter in our lives.

I remember sitting on that couch and crying almost incessantly over the deaths of my two biological children. I remember watching UK basketball games with my hubby on that couch. I remember laying many, many nights to read and study the Word - many nights I experienced special times with the Lord on that couch. I remember sitting and staring at 10 different Christmas trees from that couch and anticipating Christmas morning with my children the last 6 years. It has been my "quiet time" place for years. I remember sitting on that couch to have long phone conversations with my sister. I remember my parents and in-laws sitting on that couch and playing with my children. I remember my shear delight in finding lost items in the cushions. I remember sitting on the far right side of the couch the night that Michael told me that he was completely on board to adopt internationally. I remember collapsing on that couch many days after working hard all day. I remember always trying to find ways to make that couch look right in my home - but in the end - what can you do with red plaid? I remember sleeping on that couch with my children when they were sick or afraid. I remember sleeping on that couch while Michael was on mission in Haiti so I could be closer to my children and as far away from our bedroom as I could be while he was gone. I remember Michael taking naps on that couch on Saturday mornings while the kids watched a movie. I have seen all three of my children come home to play, sleep, sit, snack, read, snuggle and watch t.v. on this couch .

Michael always says that I can put words to anything and make it sound relevant. Please don't misunderstand me. I don't worship this couch. But, at times like this, I find it easy to reflect on where our lives have been the last 10 years or so. The couch is now in the garage and we hope to find it a good home. I anxiously await my chocolate brown microsuede set.


But, I must say that I don't expect the new couch to carry the weight the old one did.


Red plaid will always hold a special place in this heart!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You think waaaay too much. Ha Ha!

Rachel said...

Already shared my feelings on this post with you FtF...sniff, sniff.

Angie said...

Of all your blogs, why am I crying now? Because of those precious memories. Thanks for sharing them. I love you to pieces!

 
style>