Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Blessed and grateful...

I haven't been feeling well today - sore throat/ears. Nothing serious, just the crud, I guess - one of the woes of working in healthcare. But, anyway, I kept Abby home with me tonight while Mike and the boys went to church/children's choir. I missed going so much because my church family is such an encouragement to me. But, if I was really getting sick, I didn't want to spread it all over the place. So, I laid down in the floor to check my blog and email. Abigail decided to cook supper for me and her baby doll. As you can see, a woman's work is never done and she was worn to a frazzle. She laid down beside me and fell asleep with no prompting at all, which is in itself, quite unusual.

While we were laying there, her precious face just blessed me so much. It reminded me of being in the grocery store the other night. The young man behind the deli counter saw her. His comment struck me - "I thought all the angels were in heaven. But, what do you know! One has lit right here in [name of town]." My first thought was that I do not want people to judge my children strictly on their appearance. My guard went up a little bit. I said, "Thanks. She's a great kid" and moved on to the produce section. Like any parent, I want to protect my children. And, you see, I believe that every mother truly believes that their children are beautiful. I am no different. I have 3 beautiful children. But, I also have 3 very inquisitive, creative, intelligent, fun, God-loving children as well. They are incredible PEOPLE and I can't wait to see how they continue to impact their world as life grows them up. Don't get me wrong...I appreciate the deli-man's comment, very sweet and genuine - I just hope that as we continue to live in this community - living life, being a family, building relationships - that our paths will cross again and that he will not just notice a pretty face - mommy's beautiful girl. I hope he sees more - a beautiful person with a lot to give to this world.

The other day we were riding in the car and having a talk with the boys about their recent decisions to be Christ followers. Abby always wants in on the conversation. She began saying in her two year old style,
"Dad-dy, dad-dy, dad!"
Michael said, "What is it Abby?"
"I luv Deezus. He lib in mu hot,"
which is interpreted...
"I love Jesus. He lives in my heart."

I pray that this testimony lives itself out in her little heart. In the meantime, we will strive to keep raising our kids to become the people God desires them to be.

No comments:

 
style>