Tuesday, October 21, 2008

10 things you may not know about me...

1. I am very comfortable being by myself in a quiet place for hours at a time. Unlike alot of people I know who say they always must have music, t.v., telephone conversations, or people around them all the time, I am very comfortable being by myself. In large crowds, I like to shrink back and not be noticed if possible.
2. I LOVE to bargain shop! One of my favorite pasttimes is to go shopping clearance racks, outlets, and discount stores for bargains. Most friends are amazed at my ability to buy name brands at really low prices!
3. I start Christmas shopping in January every year for the following Christmas. I love Christmastime and enjoy the thrill of the hunt for gifts. I make out my Christmas list about a week after Christmas every year so I can plan what to buy those special people in my life.
4. I have insomnia that began spontaneously when I was 19 years old. I do not know what it would feel like to sleep through a whole night. Fortunately, and by the grace of God, I have learned to lay and relax at night (most nights) when I can not sleep so that my body actually does receive some degree of rest.
5. I love, love, love to scrapbook. But, because of my self-inflicted crazy-life schedule, I end up being more of a scrapbooking supply collector than a scrapbooker because I have so much difficulty finding time to do it.
6. I have a secret ambition to be a master seamstress...I asked Michael for a sewing machine for my birthday and I love trying to sew, but - again - haven't actually had time to perfect the craft yet - have only made one apron.
7. I thoroughly enjoy trying to decorate my little home in the primitive-country style: i.e. quilts, old-looking things, saltbox houses, enamelware, sepia garland...and I must stop at every shop I find that has primitive style decorative home "stuff."
8. I have a difficult time watching home videos of my children - they make me so sad! I probably don't record as much as I should because they are so hard for me to go back and watch.
9. I am an avid reader...would rather snuggle up on the couch with a good book than go anywhere I can think of on vacation - primarily non-fiction is my preference.
10. I feel very insecure at times. I am continually praying that I will overcome this and be able to demonstrate my confidence in God's ability to keep me secure - not in my own ability - but trusting Him. I find myself often asking Michael aloud -"Is everything going to be alright?" or "Are we going to be alright?" or "Are we raising our children right?" I struggle when I don't know what tomorrow may hold - but none of us EVER do...it is the issue that God is dealing with me most about right now - TRUST in HIS divine plan. He is able!
Now, if that is more than you wanted to know...no apologies...I am who I am! I love this crazy life and I wouldn't trade nothin' for my journey...just being real...

3 comments:

Angie said...

I love it when you're real. It helps me to see that I'm not crazy and it makes me feel close to you as a friend since I rarely get to talk to you. Thanks for sharing who you are! Love you to pieces, Angie

Rachel said...

Thank you for being real. Let me be real about 10 things I think about you...

1. You're an amazing friend
2. You're an incredible mother
3. Your passion for the Word of God is contagious
4. Your love for people is evident
5. Your voice is comforting (I don't think I have ever told you that)
6. Your family makes me smile everytime I see any of you people.
7. Your work ethic is admirable
8. The way you could calm me down before my boys came home...one briefly knowing you...was surprising. Something even my best and dearest friends at the time couldn't achieve.
9. You're funny.
10. If I had sprint, you'd be in my top 5!!

The things that make you real are the things I love the most!

Anonymous said...

hi melisa,
i just happened upon your blog and as i was reading your ten things, i thought that's me too. my husband and i have been married the same amount of time and haven't been able to conceive and so we are going the domestic adoption route and have had some ups and downs with that, it'll be two years of waiting to be chosen.
we had a little boy (5 months old) for 7 weeks and then his mother changed her mind, so we are back to waiting. i enjoy reading your blog and seeing how things are going for you. thanks.

 
style>